Monday, June 01, 2009

DNR

I went to UST with my Mom and Tita Rose after we attended Kaleb's 7th birthday party at Museo ng Pambata. We heard that Tita Gina (Vic's Mom) was admitted this morning at the ER, restless and in excruciating pain. As I got in the ER, I noticed that Tita Gina is confused and somewhat in pain. She has been diagnosed of colon cancer six months ago, and now her condition has gotten worse. The doctor explained that her infection has reached her entire body and caused severe damage to her organs. Her tongue has already retracted which signifies that there has been a damage to her brain. This is what they call in medical jargon as sepsis. Her heart rate was racing, her respirations are high and her blood pressure is dropping. We have to decide whether we will transfer her to the ICU and go on with the treatment or finally give her up. At around 9PM, few minutes before 10, I talked to Vic and asked him about his decision, at this time Tita Gina was intubated and was given artificial ventilation. After I explained to him about giving a DNR (Do not resuscitate) option, we waited Ate Bhing's long distance call for us to explain to her about the decision and to ask for her consent. As Vic and Ate Bhing had both agreed, they signed for the DNR order, waiting for all the fluids and medications to be consumed. It was probably one of the most difficult decisions they had to make in their lives. My Mom and I left at around 11PM, Tita Gina was still unstable and has gone into a coma a few minutes after the tube was placed. She no longer was responding and at the mercy of the ventilator. At around 2AM I received a call from Tita Rose that Tita Gina passed away at 1:55AM, June 1, 2009. Her remains will be cremated tomorrow at the Sanctuarium.

We praise God for His goodness to the life of Tita Gina.

2 Comments:

Blogger mike said...

What a good blog. I will definitely visit often to your website! It has already been bookmarked into my browser :)arginine dosage

7:34 AM  
Blogger Bukan Saya said...

Thanks for taking the time to discuss this, I feel about it and love learning more on this topic. If possible, as you gain expertise, would you mind updating your blog with more information? It is extremely helpful for me. Tante Toket Gede Abis Kocok Memek

12:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home